With its continuous efforts to support startups in various fields and industries, especially throughout unstable times like the one we are living in right now, Gemini Africa launched an initiative called Uplift4GFF, which aims to support startups in the entertainment industry by giving them the right exposure, business opportunities, mentorship, and partnership opportunities.
The initiative Uplift4GFF, which is considered the first regional event of its kind, comes in collaboration with El Gouna Film Festival. Uplift4GFF was focusing on all the startups and creatives who wish to leave a print and change the entertainment and show business industry with their innovative ideas.
Out of the 10 startups Gemini Africa has chosen, only 3 were declared as winners. In the first place came Hall of Talents, which is an online networking platform for filmmakers, artists, and industry professionals to team up, share and gain knowledge and industry insights and create a wide variety of ambitious projects that will enrich the industry.
As for the second place came Droovy, which is a startup that aims to capitalize on the huge success of the film industry in Egypt by becoming a market leader in the interactive movie industry through designing and developing interactive movies.
In the third place came Egyptian Cinema Experience; A tech-based next-generation museum that will contain modern technologies such as VR (holographic reality) and holograms, helping visitors to interact with the exhibits.
As for the rest of the 10 startups that Gemini Africa picked to pitch in the first edition of Uplift4GFF, at El Gouna Film Festival, they were:
- Captain Boy: A production company that pitched a brand-new concept for creating Arab content that travels worldwide.
- iProtect: A tech-driven company that enables content creators, creatives, entrepreneurs, and inventors to copyright their authentic ideas via providing timestamps.
- Bricks Animation: A studio that introduces a cost-efficient and creative animation technique that is unfamiliar in Egypt and plans on producing full-length Stop motion films and paving the way for a new creative industry in the region.
- Together Ma3Ba3d: An immersive trans medium production combining filmmaking, holographic technology, reality TV, entrepreneurship, and gamification into a platform for social transformation.
- Cinemates: A startup aiming to create an extensive umbrella for the Egyptian film industry through documenting every single step in the history of the Egyptian cinema since its creation until now.
- Esorus: A platform that offers integrated solutions for set designing. It offers a variety of set designers, ready-sets, shooting locations, among other services.
- Sound of Noize: An online platform on the mission to connect independent experimental artists, enabling them to collaborate on producing audio, visual, and contemporary art projects.
The judging panel who have heard and assessed the pitches consisted of some of the most remarkable business and entrepreneurial experts and media moguls attending El Gouna Film Festival, including the prominent Egyptian businessman and Chairman of the Board of Directors of Orascom Investment and Gemini Holding; Naguib Sawiris, CEO of Gemini Africa; Adly Thoma, the famous actress Shereen Reda, TikTok’s Head of Strategic Partnership in the Middle East and Africa; Cherine Magora, Egyptian director and the Artistic Director of the El Gouna Film Festival; Amir Ramses, and Egyptian presenter and actress Nardine Farag.